Saints given the appellation “the Great”
[An unofficial title given by popular acclamation, not an official proclamation of the Church. Note the one female saint, although Mary is acknowledged as "Blessed be the Great Mother of God" and so might be included in this list as well.]
James the Great-er/Major: one of the Twelve, as opposed
to James the Less
Anthony the Great (c.251-356): father of
monasticism
Basil the Great (330-379) honored on January 2nd
w/Gregory of Nazianzen; brother to Gregory of Nyssa: Byzantine Greek
theologians
Armenians:
Nerses I the Great
(c.310-373)patriarch
Isaac the Great
(c.345-439) catholicos leader
Euthymius the Great
(377-473) monk
Arsenius the Great (c.354 -c.455) Orthodox Egyptian
monk
Bruno the Great (925-65) archbishop of Cologne,
Germany
Albert Magnus (1193-1280) philosopher, scientist,
teacher of St. Thomas Aquinas
Gertrude the Great (1256-1301)
German Cistercian nun, mystic and stigmatist
Popes
Leo I (reigned
440-461)
Gregory I (c.540 – reigned
590-604)
Nicholas (c.800 - reigned
858-67)
?! John Paul II (1920
- reigned 1978 -2005)
In studying about Pope Saint Gregory the Great during Tuesday morning "Coffee with the Saints," the question of how many "Great" saints came up! And here is the list in answer!
No comments:
Post a Comment